Thursday, May 14, 2009

Last Days


I will start with a veiled attempt at an apology for the lack of updates. Things got hectic and a bit hairy!

After my last update I headed off to the passport office with Natasha to get Yulia's passport a simple trip and we were set to head out to Moscow the next day......Or so I thought.

Shortly after arriving at the office Natasha disappeared with a lady that worked there. I could hear Natasha's voice and thought...this can't be good. After a few minutes she walked out to me and I could tell there was a problem. Our Visa's were incorrect and as such the office was told that based on this we were not able to get the passport. She added "I do not want you to worry" Funny thing is that I did not, I have grown to trust her implicitly.

She explained that we had to pay a fine for violating the law and I needed to go and get Amanda with the driver and she would sort it all out. She was frustrated and angry with it and said she would try and get the fine waived. She said apologetically "It is a lot of money"

So I headed back to the apartment to get Amanda. Honestly I have never seen Amanda get ready faster! She was doing Laundry..by hand when I arrived. We headed quickly back to the office..a 15 minute drive and it was 4pm. Natasha met us and said we had to pay a fine and we hurried off to a Bank where we had to pay it as they of course were going to close. On the way she explained that our Visa was supposed to say Adoption on it and it did not. After paying RBL10,000 fine we headed back to the passport office where our crime was registered, our penance noted and the passport issued. Seems simple but it was an hour an a half of paperwork and Chekhovian Comedy on Russian Public Service!

Yulia was getting cranky for the first time. It was an hour past her meal time and she had a short nap earlier. Plus we had guests coming by to say goodbye and found out that Natasha was not coming to the Airport with us. We tidied up fed Yulia and the Coordinator and Natasha dropped in to say goodbye. There were heartfelt thank you's hugs and almost tears as we said good bye and thank you. We have a friend in Natasha and are grateful for Nadjerda's help.

Yulia had a tough night as she was out of sorts but we all were asleep by midnight to get up at      6:30 am and headed to the Airport for our 2 pm flight.


Yulia was a great traveller and her first flight went by without a hitch. We arrived in Moscow a bit late and were met at the airport and dropped off at our hotel. It was the day before Victory Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment