
As I think back on the blogs that I wrote, at one point I wrote about being in the moment and how I had discovered the importance of that in terms of success. As Power Weekend was beginning to close Sir Sean talked about life happening in moments and that the weekend was a collection of moments, it was at that moment I knew what theme would guide this blog.
Our Power Weekend began with the traditional meal at a Japanese Restaurant where the majority of candidates collected to eat and hopefully burn off the nervous anticipation about the upcoming 43 hours that was to be our Black Belt Test. In my estimation it worked as one could hear laughter and conversation that only those who had become caring for each other have. It was the calm before the storm and it was more than I could have hoped for.
So let me share the moments that gave me strength during the most difficult, challenging and physically demanding thing I have ever done and believe me it was. I have been fortunate to run a full marathon (42kms) and played many sports but nothing has come even close.
The first moment was in the presentations by the higher belts who were testing for 3rd, 4th and 5th degrees. A young team mate going for his 3rd degree talked about how martial arts changed his life, gave it direction and purpose and paid tribute to our Master for being the architect. It was honest, heart felt and utterly inspiring.
Then there was the Tootoo! A surprise and a gift all at the same time from a young women who at the age of 18 has the respect of peers and elders that few could ever hope to have in their 50's. She wore this in response to her team mates giving her the nickname Barbie at team building just so we could get her goat.
And so it began with inspiration that could have cured any butterflies.
It was game time and the candidates were put through a highly demanding session that lasted.... Quite the moment.
And in those moments there was Princess Consuela..Sir Tran was at his very best and in those moments it was the advice to the candidates at a particularly challenging time that if we were to fail then have the courage to fail big!
You will note the lack of detail on matters and that is in respect of the process..another moment, trust the process.
Sir Norm " I changed my mind"
Hour 13 of training began after no sleep but some rest..another moment.
Sir Luca " We just need to get your blood flowing" are you kidding me?
Helping to teach the 8:30 am class and then rushing out to train in the sunshine and warmth of the park with the bo.
Cleaning up the neighborhood to the delight of many residents.
Cathy "I am going to push you" and you did in hour 18ish. That is what a great team mate does
Sidoshi's training session. "Who wants to volunteer"...The Professor "me" are you kidding me?
A young team mate that did more push ups than the few hundred we all did.
My mentee who overcame a big challenge to perform Hwa Rang when it appeared that he could not break through his challenge and he did and in doing so made me so proud that I held back tears.
Being taught to break boards by Master Jonathan, a two time World Champion.
Knowing that I had to keep it up and to push myself hard as I looked at two of my team mates who injured themselves and had to do less than they thought but did more than most ever could even after. I was not going to let them down.
Each Musical Form.
Kaelan coming to help the candidates on Saturday night and looking so confident and giving me a reassuring look as she walked on the floor.
The less than 2 hours sleep
The run: a collection of moments. Personally breaking through the doubt that I would not run the 5K and may need to walk a bit..I did not walk an inch and finished with a respectable time. Knowing that each candidates story was being sewn with their final steps in running the 5 K after less than 3 hours sleep and training that could fell a Clydesdale. The ache in my legs a reminder of all the work we had done. The young girl who was feeling less than well, running despite it.
Each candidate as they finished going back to collect those that were still out there, I had witnessed this last year but the emotion of being part of it is different. Some likely ran over 7kms + by the time they were done.
It was in these final stages as the team finished the 5K together that Jason said, "Tom you are quiet" I responded "Unlike me huh" when the truth be told I was so totally overcome with emotion that I was not only fighting back the emotions but I could not find words that seemed anywhere close to fitting the occasion.
On June 4th I will be awarded my First Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. I could not be more grateful. I am not a material man but this will a possession that has more value than anything I own.
To Amanda, thank you for your incredible support throughout and for not blinking about Power Weekend being on your Birthday and Mothers Day to boot. The is no greater love that I have ever felt.
Kaelan, I have no words just tears of happiness for you. You inspire me.
My Team mates: I could not be more proud and thank you for these moments this past year as we trained together.
All those Black Belts who helped out thank you so much for giving so much.
Sir Sean, Sir Winston, Sir Norm: Thanks do not come close only my actions going forward will. Thank you for all your help and care.
KJN: You transform people's lives in such a caring and positive way. I have never met anyone quite like you and am so grateful that I have. You took my life which was great and connect me to an even better one.

No comments:
Post a Comment