Saturday, February 12, 2011

Doubt grows with knowledge - Goethe


As I cast my eyes on Sean's journal the quote which is today's title, was the first thing I saw.


Sean and I met before training to talk about today's and the next few days approach to my training. Why? Well on Thursday I wrenched my lower back and while it has improved it needs to heal.


We went over a 20 minute circuit of exercises that will help me recover and talked about what I needed to avoid in order not to worsen my situation. I attentively managed the 3 circuits and felt more positive. So for the next while my aerobic training will be limited and I will find opportunities that will keep me moving forward. But....


Today was forms testing and that was discouraging to me. I have been confident in knowing my forms and with my back I cannot (and should not) kick and quick movements, well lets say would wake a hibernating bear. The issue for me was more mental than physical. I have worked hard at learning and getting better at forms and I had hoped to do them at the height of my ability and snap.......not close.


We did 4 forms and I was clouded in doubt because of my injury. The doubt was distracting, the pain less so. In the end I felt more frustrated than I have in years. I fear it showed which I would have preferred it did not.


I can say though I was very pleased with my mente's progress, in my humble opinion he did his forms the best he has ever done and a highly respected instructor commented to me that he noticed marked improvement in him. For this I am very pleased and proud of him.


Goethe's quote sat in my mind and it was only after some meditation in the hot tub that it dawned on me. My knowledge today was that my back was limiting, that brought doubt into my mind and rather than use the knowledge and think through my approach, I allowed doubt to influence me.


I do not think Sean wrote the quote in his book purposefully prior to having me look at it but it is providence that it was written there.


As much as I met you with a quote, I am also compelled to leave you with one:


"Lord what fools these mortals be" - Puck

1 comment:

  1. The other one I liked this week was: "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts...". Glad it helped.

    ReplyDelete