Saturday, February 26, 2011

Back 2 Back


If you remember I do little lightly in life and in fact at one point pondered the extremes that I tend to navigate to. So it is of little surprise that tackling my back means being aggressive in treatment and expectations.


I have had 6 treatments and on Friday was given the green light to try and push things "a little". I left my chiropractors office with the following advice: "Pain is not a bad thing and the absence of pain is not necessarily good."


I rested fully for a few days and got back to some light training and stretching. My back responded well and started to do core strengthening after 5 treatments. I was religious in icing and the few exercises that I was allowed to do. Things are not back to where they need to be however I am very encouraged by this mornings training where I was able to run for 15 minutes (light) and do many of the drills. I even ventured into some kicking and the net result was positive. While my back feels tired, there is no pain, in short a good hurt.


My training partner Dave is suffering through muscle issues in his back so we were very happy to partner and held a good balance of pushing each other but managing to be mindful of our predicament. Dave has been great this past year in motivating me, in particular in running. I call him the "professor" because his approach is that of a student, meticulous in understanding forms and studious in applying learning.


I have been giving nick names to the other adults as they occur to me. I am not forcing them because I want to be sure they fit. So here is what I have so far: Professor, Taz (for Tasmanian Devil), Scarecrow, Tumbleweed and Jazz. For any of the candidates feel free to guess.


Tonight the adults are coming by after dinner to hang out have a few drinks and just relax together. We need some downtime together and some can use the healing powers of both drink and a hot tub. I am looking forward to that, we spend a great deal of time together and most of it in pain.


Given the nicknames I will leave you with a quote from the Professor and Gilligan! Guess who Gilligan is:


Gilligan: Hi ya Professor, what ya doing?

Professor: I am making notes for a book, its to be a chronicle of our adventures on the island. I think its a book people will want to buy, don't you?

Gilligan: Sure, I'll buy one, I'm dying to find out what will happen to us.


I am dying to see where we all end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment