Friday, February 18, 2011

Affect? We will see: Bring it on


"If it's not going to affect the rest of my life then it likely isn't that important." this is something that I have lived by when confronted with issues that may seem important at the time. Amanda used to comment how I would seem to be unaffected by things that many would fret over.


This theory is being tested this week as I have been facing the prospects that my suspected disc herniation may be throwing my way. It was forms testing week this week and I was not fit to be tested, maybe fit to be tied but not tested.


Through Sean I have started treating my back with Tim the Chiropractor. Tim examined me on Tuesday evening and discussed my predicament. "You likely are dealing with a herniated disc, best case you are looking at a few weeks and worst case a few months. We need to get your muscles relaxed in order to see what we may be looking at." My response was simple, "I do not have a few weeks and months are out of the question, I am hoping to test for my black belt in May, I can give us a week." Tim smiled and said "OK, I see what I am dealing with and I understand lets talk about what you can do. What you cannot do is train in a way that will eliminate the benefits of treating you." OK I thought, I like you.


Three treatments later and we have made some progress. On the positive side I am not dealing with the nerve issues that come with a bad herniation, so we are focusing on the positive and my goal is to be strengthening my core by the end of next week and doing forms like I want to shortly there after.


I will be honest and say that the worst has crossed my mind and I have feared that maybe I will have to pull myself out. Amanda's response to that was "stop that, you will work through this." You know what, I will and I can tell you why.


Support, remember how a few months back I talked about support? Well I know it is there and saw it this week in spades. Amanda who makes me feel like I can do this and does not hesitate in encouraging me to try. Sean (who leads the BB training) has been all over me with this offering help, support and a sympathetic ear. Dave my training partner who listened and then basically said "lets do this" and talked about modifying my forms if need be. Ray who sent an email after Thursday training offering support. Kyra who right away was thinking about modifying my training and Ian who trained right up to having back surgery, offering to share his knowledge and hands on experience. I cannot and will not let these people down.


The good thing is that it is Family day weekend and there is a break from training so I will rest until Tuesday. I have 3 sessions with Tim booked and will take this day by day moving even if inching forward each day.


There have been very few things in my life that I have wanted this badly. I have been training for 9 months up until this and am in the best shape of my life, this will help. Besides what else have I got to do until May 6?


I leave you with a quote by a man who was taken from us too soon, about 45 years ago this week:


"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today"


Malcolm X

No comments:

Post a Comment