
I had the fortune of contracting a bit of the flu Saturday. I say fortune because it was turned out to be.
I awoke at 5 AM Saturday and got myself ready just before waking Kaelan, I felt not quite like myself but thought it was more because of the incredibly hectic schedule of the past 6 weeks. We headed out to the Dojang and it was about -5. As I ran the bridge I found that i was loosing energy instead of gaining more (as would normally be the case), I stuck it out and ran a last repeat with one of the tournament kids that started out a bit late.
Before long I found myself huddled in the corner with my toque on cold and feeling like I had seen my last birthday after all. I quietly watched others training hoping that it would pass and I could get out on the floor. Before long KJN came over and asked me to lay on the floor face down. After working out the tension in my muscles I was handed an energy drink and told to rest. The last two weeks have been testing weeks and after a rest I returned to the floor and did my best to do something. It did not look pretty.
We have 2 more weeks of Saturday training and then a break over the holidays. The fortune for me in this is that I spent most of the balance of the weekend sleeping. Monday arrived and I was much better.
January 8 is the start of the homestretch to Power Weekend. There are two paths. The first is to approach things the way I have and build to Power Weekend, I have trained well, consistently and grown a great deal in the past number of months and I know that it would put me in a good spot to perform well.
Then there is the better path. I realised that I have to choose the path that will lead me down a path that will take me outside of my comfort zone, a path that will test my resolve to improve and balance all of my responsibilities. This will be four months like no other I have seen in my 50 years. It will not be unlike the four months that Kaelan had. I remember her tears at the prospect of missing a sleep over last year with her friends because she had to be up for training, they were not tears because she was told she could not go. They were tears because she chose the harder path, the path she committed to, the path that meant she had to listen to the stories of fun rather than be there. Tears of frustration.
I want to live up to the role model that Kaelan set. I find it crazy in a way that my 12 year old little girl cleared a path for me and forged a trail that I have to live up to but she did. I have been wondering who could best mentor me in this next 4 months and have come to the realization that she lives in my home. I was in awe of her strength last year and her ability to "get" what she was trying to accomplish.
The picture is from team building weekend in 2009 and to me shows her at her best.
I will be accountable to myself and look to her for guidance.
Today is the anniversary of John Lennon's death. It is only right to quote him
"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality"

No comments:
Post a Comment