
After last weekends tournament I was feeling quite charged for a few days and then it hit me. Accountability: I have never struggled with accountability to those I love and things that matter but I must be open and I have not always been good with accountability to self.
A strange thing perhaps but on about Wednesday I became aware that my efforts on the weekend had implications. I needed to be accountable for my good result. It in effect has raised the expectations I have on me. In the past I think I have shied away from that in my life.
One thing that I am learning is that being accountable is what a martial artist strives towards. It has implications in everything I do, say and think. It carries with it a very heavy load because you cannot take a day off.
I think it dawned on me after reading Sir Jonathan's blog. I am accountable to live up to last weekend and build on it not shy away. It is not a result, it is merely a moment in time that has now allowed me to grow and focus.
Funny but it was not until well into the week that I noticed how swollen and bruised my foot was. That is what a busy week can do to you where you do not really see the light of day.
What I think I need to leverage is how I am so comfortable and natural in my accountability to my 3 girls and learn how to hold myself to that standard for me. This will help in training, focus and my ability to reflect on where I am in all things Tom.
As I write this I realise that for me doing this in terms of social responsibility is easy, doing this for someone you love is easy. For self it is not so easy because well it may seem selfish.
"Become the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi or
"There is only 1 corner of the world that you are sure to change, yourself" Huxley
Both say it well but as much as I have tried to live by these 2 quotes I think I left me out of the equation.
"Become what you envision of yourself and be steadfast in attending to it. All the while loving and caring for what surrounds you. There lies my true self." Tom Horn November 27, 2010
Have a week that you never thought you could.

No comments:
Post a Comment