
As much as I have discovered a love of sparring, it is the softer side of the Martial Arts that has made me a devoted disciple. There is a gentleness and playfulness to a Martial Artist that I aspire to become.
This morning the 2011 black bet candidates had the final test to qualify for our final black belt test on the weekend of May 6th. Each of us arrived with a degree of anxious anticipation and were ready for a rough and tumble morning. After which a few of us were off to officiate at the 2011 Canada Cup with CASK.
Once again our Master taught us something unexpected. After a brief warm up run each candidate was given a candle which KJN lit for us and we all formed a circle where we were asked to meditate. KJN led us in a meditation of GRATITUDE. We were asked to think of the things that we were grateful for both inside and outside of Martial Arts.
Picture a darkened Dojang with 20-30 people in complete silence and only the glow of candles lighting the room. Listen to the complete silence except for the voice of our Master pointing out that gratitude is something more powerful than perhaps we allow it to be. We reflected on the journey and the challenges we have faced, the injuries and the doubts.
As I sit and write this the emotions that I felt then flow over me and blanket me in a warmth and appreciation that one might not associate with Martial Arts. As I sat quietly in meditation I felt a sense of connection to gratitude that calmed me and in some moments felt a degree overwhelming. Each and every person in that room has made me a better person from the youngest to the oldest. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to be going through this experience with these people. The instructors who give of themselves like I have never seen in my entire life, I could never express my gratitude in a way that demonstrates it in a manner that is as meaningful as they have.
Today's lesson was not about a technique or a form, today was about connecting to self. I feel humbled by this 5 minutes even more so as I reflect on it.
As I watched our kids spar today I saw something I had not seen before. Sean and KJN coached the kids through Light contact continuous sparring. For a few of the kids it was their first tournament and for all I think the first in this type of sparring. Normally they participate in point sparring, a slightly less aggressive type of sparring. There was an incredible gentleness in the way that Sean and KJN talked, coached, motivated and calmed the kids nerves. I noticed their eyes and I noticed the way each student looked into those eyes. I am not sure that I have ever seen anything more powerful in my entire life. No words were needed as much as they spoke because the eyes said quite simply "Believe in yourself, hold yourself with integrity because I believe in you" KJN takes each child's heart in her hand and not only does she make it strong she inspires it to achieve a potential that it did not know it has.
For that I am so grateful and I aspire to learn such gentleness.
I leave you without a quote because I doubt you need one, I know I do not.

No comments:
Post a Comment