Saturday, January 22, 2011

The simple things

I missed last week's post because of a simple thing so I am compelled to reflect on the simple things.

First a bit of history, in and around 1988 I was introduced to an 11 year old boy by Big Brothers here in Toronto, his name, Wayne. Wayne and I were soon to become great friends and enjoy many things together, movies, sports, ground dogs, hanging out and ball hockey, simple things.

We also shared a degree of challenge and supported each other, each in our own way. Wayne continues to be a big part of my life. We do not see each other as much as I would like but life is buy for us both, Wayne has a 10 month old boy and is making a great life for himself.

In about 1989/90 I was introduced to his pal Steve, Steve came from a similar background to Wayne and they have shared growing up and fat together. Steve is a gregarious and fun loving guy that has a big heart. He is making a great life for himself and has 2 young children.

Both have continued to be a part of my life and are a great help in keeping me connected to the simple things. I am very proud of both these young men and feel it an honor to call them my friends and often at bemused at why they want to hang with the old guy but I do not question it I revel in it.

These two decided to take me to Montreal and treat me to a Montreal Canadiens hockey game to celebrate my 50th birthday. Not only that: they took me to one of the best steak houses in Montreal for dinner after the game. It could not have been more perfect, Montreal won in a good game, I drank more beer than I have in months, ate more hotdogs and had a fabulous time. All simple things.

It was the simple things that training was about today. A hard run for 15 minutes, Burpeees, push ups, ab work more burpees in between each. It was only 10 minutes but it was 10 minutes like I am not sure I have quite seen. Sean made this point "that was 10 minutes, I have you for 40 hours on power weekend" Simple each thing simple.

Moved over to forms Dan Gun: A simple form, hardly being able to breathe (simple thing) and with legs burning (walking is simple). Then back to Sean for more burpees (a simple exercise) stances (simple) and more burpees.

Then tonight preparing for dinner, fresh pasta simple to make only eggs semolina flour oil and salt, roasting garlic and squash simple.

Life is a bout simple things that are made more complex as they intertwine and react to each other. The secret I think is realizing that we make it complex. We make a form complex by getting ahead of ourselves, we make relationships complex by not being in the moment. We make 10 minutes complex by not being in the moment and having our mind wander about how hard it is and how long will this last.

I love the simple things and will work harder to pay attention to them. Thank you Wayne and Steve for the reminder. I love you both.

I leave you with an old Hindu saying:

"Wealth is like manure in a field. It makes a bad smell in a big heap. When distributed across a field, the smell is non existent and the soil becomes fertile."

No comments:

Post a Comment