
I have been awash with words and emotions over the past week and it all came crashing in on me last night after having Mothers' Day dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.
If you go back a year in the blog you will notice that we had our first Mothers Day as a family of 4 at the Hard Rock Cafe in Moscow, yesterday closed the circle or as Sir Winston remarked added symmetry. Yesterday had the added emotion of Kaelan completing Power Weekend and achieving her Black Belt!
The picture is on the boardwalk at 8 am when all the black belt candidates headed off on their 5 or 6 KM run to end the training that began at 7 on Friday evening and was pretty much continuous from that point. Impossible you say? Not for these folks and they did it in a snow shower! Kaelan was amazing, she had the time of her life. Just prior to the run she was very nauseous and I asked if she wanted me to run with her, I was met with an emphatic no. She not only ran the 5K but did it well.
Having trained with these folks over the past year I have had the honor to get to know them fairly well and they did not surprise me but I did see them in a very different light. Each one has accomplished something that even many Martial Artists do not. Power Weekend is the creation of KJN Veronica DeSantos, she teaches not only TKD but she teaches her students to accept only the best from themselves and to pass beyond their own expectations.
As if this was not enough.
This past week we celebrated GOTCHA Day with Claire on May 4. Claire has grown into a simply wonderful little girl. She is beautiful and simply a joy. Sitting at dinner last night with my 3 girls to celebrate Mothers Day was just perfect and to have it at the Hard Rock Cafe a year after being in Moscow was really a special moment for us all. A year ago Claire had only just heard English and moved thousands of miles to her new home and family and today it is as if she was part of us from the beginning of time. The three of us, Amanda, Kaelan and I found love, a deep and unconditional love that changed our lives and has made each one of us better.
Okay is it just me or am I getting the inspiration of a lifetime from an 11 year old and a 2 year old?
As my black belt cycle officially started with KJN saying, "Tom we looked at next year and you are on the list", I have no need to try and find inspiration. I have trained this past year knowing that my time will come and I am happy to extend myself. Expectations? I have a few and I will work hard to get there.
I know I will have support of many and I know I have training partners that will push me.
I also have 2 little girls that have proven to me that the only thing getting in my way is me.
Claire, you have made me a better Dad, I could not love you more.
Kaelan, I cannot tell you just how much you inspire me and have for years. Tiyende Pamodzi
Amanda, why you have put up with me I will never know. You are the love of my life.
To all who have embarked on this journey with me, hang on its going to be a ride. D WHAT?

DESANTOS!
ReplyDelete